Many churches today are not brave enough to answer the tough questions about life, culture and scripture. How do we follow Christ in a society that is collapsing?
A generation is begging that the church would speak to issues like gender, abortion, LGBTQ, racism and socialism. They are desperately seeking answers on how to honor Christ and walk with Him in this century? How do we navigate life in this culture as a Christ follower?
Therefore I love Your commandments Above gold, yes, above fine gold.Psalms 119:127 NASB1995
Pastor Bob McCartney gave a sermon series on these issues this fall highlighting the truth found in the Bible. He stated that we need to start at the beginning, the gold standard of truth. He shows us that the Bible speaks directly to all of these issues. Here are my notes from this sermon.
I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.John 17:14-17 NASB1995
1. The current culture is hostile toward anyone who affirms truth.
We are at odds with the world, the controlling culture, around us. He gave us the word and the world hated us.
“We have lost home field advantage.”Pastor Tony Evans
- You are going to be outnumbered when you are on the visiting team and you will be booed.
- The culture defines truth as personal perspective. – “Speak your truth. “
In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes.Judges 21:25 NASB1995
- The culture defines truth by the collective community.
- Truth of the collective community is the tyranny of whoever has the microphone.
2. Followers of Jesus embrace the stand of absolute truth.
The sum of Your word is truth, And every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting.Psalms 119:160 NASB1995
- Biblical truth is universal.
- It is true for all people, every culture, all the time.
and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”John 8:32 NASB1995
- Biblical truth is unchanging.
- Some things are always right and some things are always wrong. The Bible should guide every response to a culture in chaos.
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.John 14:6 NASB1995
Watch the full sermon here.