Pastor Bob McCartney gave a sermon series on current social issues this fall highlighting the truth found in the Bible. Here are my notes from this second sermon in his series, True Colors.
The deepest truth about you what is God says about you. We all live with absolute truth except in the area of morality where we want it to be negotiable.
1. We were created on purpose for a purpose.
- The God who created the universe also created you. You are not an accident. He planned you from the foundation of time itself.
- You have a unique stamp on you, the image of God. It’s not about your appearance, but your character. Every human life has dignity.
- Your life has meaning because God formed and created you.
- You have a purpose. You are an integral part.
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” 27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.Genesis 1:26-27 NASB1995
2. We are deeply flawed and fallen in sin.
- Sin is always self destructive. It is always pleasurable, but the pleasure of sin is short lived but the regret lasts much longer. God says don’t do that, you’ll hurt yourself.
- Sin separates us from our creator, God. We are helpless and hopeless to do anything to fix it. Only Jesus can bring us back into His presence.
Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned—Romans 5:12 NASB1995
But your iniquities have made a separation between you and your God, And your sins have hidden His face from you so that He does not hear.Isaiah 59:2 NASB1995
3. We are lavishly loved beyond measure.
- I can not adequately express how much God loves you. He made you unique and special with great potential.
- God translated His love into action by sending Jesus to die for us sinners.
- He gave up His most precious Son to save you!
6 For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7 For one will hardly die for a righteous man; though perhaps for the good man someone would dare even to die. 8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.Romans 5:6-8 NASB1995
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.1 John 3:1 NIV
On a cross, God gave His very best so that people like us, rebels like us, sinners like us, could be forgiven and set free. That’s what God did for you.
You want to know the truth about yourself? You were created in the image of God. Your life has worth and meaning and dignity. God created every race, every skin color, every language group and every ethnicity. There is only one race on this planet and it’s the human race.
God made you and we made the choice to rebel against Him. You’re fatally flawed and fallen in sin. And you need somebody to help you, to rescue you. God himself took the initiative to do just that by sending His Son to die the death that sin demanded so you could have a relationship with God.
Find your true authentic self in Jesus. Admit you are a sinner, Believe that Jesus died in your place and confess He is your Savior.
Watch the full sermon here.