Pastor Bob McCartney gave a sermon series on current social issues this fall highlighting the truth found in the Bible. Here are my notes from this third sermon in his series, True Colors.
13 For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. 14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; 16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them.Psalms 139:13-16 NASB1995
1. Because ALL human life has intrinsic value.
- Intrinsic value is the value of something or someone in and of itself. Every person has innate value and potential.
- All men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights.
- We are made in the image of God. We are stamped by our Creator with His image.
Whoever sheds man’s blood, By man his blood shall be shed, For in the image of God He made man.Genesis 9:6 NASB1995
- Every person, regardless of gender, ethnicity, ability has value.
- God thought you were worth it to send His Son to die for you.
2. Because a baby in the womb is a human life.
- From the moment of conception, a fetus is a complete human being.
- ‘Fetus’ in Latin means little one. It’s a term of endearment in Latin.
- It’s hard to convince someone that what they believe is a lie.
‘Fetus’ in Latin means little one.
a. We have believed the lie of abortion as population control.
- It’s not that there are too many children, it’s that there are far too few parents.
- The children are not the problem, they are the victims.
- The answer is not abortion, it is adoption. Christians need to activate to take care of these children.
Behold, children are a gift of the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward.Psalms 127:3 NASB1995
b. We have believed a lie that unborn babies are less than human.
39 In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah, 40 and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. 41 And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit, 42 and she exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! 43 And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.Luke 1:39–44
- Jesus is still a zygote at this point and yet Elizabeth calls Him my Lord.
- From the moment of conception, the DNA is already established for that specific human being, from their sex to their hair and eye color.
c. We have believed the lie of “my body, my choice”.
- A baby is not a body part. It’s not like a liver, kidney or appendix.
- There is not a single cell in that child that matches the mother’s DNA. It has it’s own unique DNA.
19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? 20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NASB1995
8 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. 9 Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice.Proverbs 31:8-9 NLT
3. Because God has a purpose for every life.
- God created every human life on purpose for a purpose.
4 Now the word of the Lord came to me saying, 5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”Jeremiah 1:4-5 NASB1995
- You were in the heart of God before you were ever conceived.
- God has a purpose for you. Life matters because God has a purpose for every single life.
It’s NOT a sin that God can’t forgive
4. Because only God can remove the guilt and shame of abortion.
- There are people who have made a very bad choice or encouraged someone to make the choice to abort a child. But God loves those who have made the choice for an abortion.
- Abortion may be a sin you can’t forget, it is NOT a sin that God can’t forgive.
- Abortion has two victims, the baby who’s has been killed and the mother who made the choice.
He will again have compassion on us; he will tread our iniquities underfoot. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea.Micah 7:19 ESV
It is a sin that lingers, but there is mercy and grace for you. God says “I will remember it no more”.
For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.”Hebrews 8:12 ESV
Jesus died on the cross not just for all kinds of sinners, but also all kinds of sins.
Watch the full sermon here.
Here is another resource for anyone who needs it… https://fbcwf.org/recovery/