TRUE COLORS: Socialism
Pastor Bob McCartney gave a sermon series on current social issues this fall highlighting the truth found in the Bible. Here are my notes from this seventh sermon in his series, True Colors.
32 And the congregation of those who believed were of one heart and soul; and not one of them claimed that anything belonging to him was his own, but all things were common property to them. 33 And with great power the apostles were giving testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and abundant grace was upon them all. 34 For there was not a needy person among them, for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales 35 and lay them at the apostles’ feet, and they would be distributed to each as any had need. 36 Now Joseph, a Levite of Cyprian birth, who was also called Barnabas by the apostles (which translated means Son of Encouragement),Acts 4:32-36 NASB1995
Venezuela is proof that socialism is a bad idea with 96% of the citizens living below the poverty level. Socialism is more than a bad idea, but the Bible does have something to say about it.
Although socialism has never actually worked over a sustained period of time, many Americans seem to embrace, especially people under 30. Right now surveys say that 40% of the American public has a somewhat positive view of socialism, but startlingly the under 30 group 60% say it is very positive.
What is drawing a younger generation to socialism? First, the promise of FREE: free health care, free college tuition, ect. Let’s confront that with reality: nothing in life is free! It is an immutable law of the universe. It’s free to you because someone else paid for it.
Secondly, we need to face the reality that the church as failed the poor. When many people under the age of 30 look around, what they see many times is churches that seem to have plenty that don’t do anything to respond to the plight of the poor. Jesus talked about the poor and the Bible repeatedly tells us how to respond to those who have less.
1. What is Marxism?
And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need.Acts 2:44-45
Some say the church is a socialist organization, based on Acts 2, but here are a couple of reasons why this argument is faulty.
- They sold THEIR property. Private property is a protected right in the Bible.
- They were GIVING is strictly voluntary. Socialism takes whereas Christianity gives.
Socialism is a softer word for Marxism. This philosophy is incideous It is beginning to work it’s way into every facet of our lives.
- Marxism is anti-God. Marx was an atheist, calling religion the opiate to keep the masses from rising up. “He had the devil’s view of the world and the devil’s malignity. Sometimes he seemed to know that he was accomplishing the work of evil.” ~ Robert Payne
- Marxism leads to dictatorship. Freedom and Marxism can not coexist for long. Socialist countries always move to stifle disagreement and dissent with the party line. They offer you free stuff, but the price of that free stuff is your freedom.
- Marxism is divisive. Divide and conquer is a Marxist idea. Marx believed the only way he could succeed with his philosophy was to create a division between the oppressors and the oppressed. “In todays cultural Marxism in our country, the exploited divide is race. It is one of the reasons race relations are at a low ebb. No matter what the issue, when a Marxist can not logically confront an issue, when they realize their arguments are hollow and pointless, the always, and I mean always cry ‘It’s racism’.” ~Dr. David Jeremiah
- Marxism is deadly. A conservative estimate of Marxism’s victims easily totals over 500,000,000 people, half a billion people, in the last century. There is no sustained example of a successful Marxist Socialist country.
Socialism has such a poor record of success that only an intellectual can accept it.
2. What is Cultural Marxism?
Dismantling the biblical family
They believe children belong to the state not parents.
Redistribution of wealth
The money belongs to the ‘people’ ie:government, not individuals.
The hard-working farmer ought to be the first to receive his share of the crops.2 Timothy 2:6 NASB1995
The goal is to centralize everything at the federal level.
- Rejection of private property.
- Defunding the Police
- Re-writing History
4 So Joshua called together the twelve men he had chosen—one from each of the tribes of Israel. 5 He told them, “Go into the middle of the Jordan, in front of the Ark of the Lord your God. Each of you must pick up one stone and carry it out on your shoulder—twelve stones in all, one for each of the twelve tribes of Israel. 6 We will use these stones to build a memorial. In the future your children will ask you, ‘What do these stones mean?’ 7 Then you can tell them, ‘They remind us that the Jordan River stopped flowing when the Ark of the Lord’s Covenant went across.’ These stones will stand as a memorial among the people of Israel forever.”Joshua 4:4-7 NLT
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!Isaiah 5:20 NASB2020
3. What does the Bible say about Marxism?
- Christianity affirms the right of private property.
- Marxism confiscates possession; Christianity cultivates generosity.
You shall not steal.Exodus 20:15 NASB1995
18 Here is what I have seen to be good and fitting: to eat, to drink, and enjoy oneself in all one’s labor in which he labors under the sun during the few years of his life which God has given him; for this is his reward. 19 Furthermore, as for every person to whom God has given riches and wealth, He has also given him the opportunity to enjoy them and to receive his reward and rejoice in his labor; this is the gift of God.Ecclesiastes 5:18-19 NASB2020
Christianity affirms the dignity of work.
The one who steals must no longer steal; but rather he must labor, producing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with the one who has need.Ephesians 4:28 NASB2020
Christianity teaches an equality of opportunity; Marxism creates an equality of misery.
Eventually, you run out of other people’s money.
Marxism removes people’s trust from God to government.
16 And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, 17 and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast or the number of his name.Revelation 13:16-17 NASB1995
If you want a utopia, Socialism will never deliver it, but Jesus will!
Watch the full sermon here: